About UsOur Family & Story
Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church is a vibrant community that strives to express God’s love as revealed to us through Jesus. We live out that love through our worship, inclusivity, dedication to outreach, and commitment to one another. We’re a community that studies scripture together, celebrates communion together, and gathers for meals, laughter, and fun. And in doing these things, we find ourselves strengthened for our work in the world. No matter where you are on your spiritual journey, there’s a place for you at Saint Peter’s!
Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church was formed as a mission of the Diocese of Arkansas in 1880. A former Methodist church was bought as a house of worship. In 1912, a fire caused by lightning destroyed the building. By 1940, a group of church members gathered together and held occasional services under the leadership of the Very Rev. C. P. Lewis, Dean of Trinity Cathedral. An Army chaplain from Camp Robinson in North Little Rock also provided services during this period. In 1942, Saint Peter’s was admitted as an organized mission at the Diocesan Convention, and by January 1944, work began on a new building. In September of that same year, Saint Peter’s celebrated its 40th birthday in a new church.
In March 1945, the Rev. John M. Allin, who later went on to become Presiding Bishop, became minister-in-charge. The church building continued to accommodate worshipers until 1993, when the Diocese of Arkansas presented Saint Peter’s with a seed grant to build a new church. This grant, coupled with generous capital gifts from members and friends of Saint Peter’s, made a new church possible. Dedication ceremonies were held in November 1993 for the present Mitchell Street church.
“When we ran out of money to do the balcony, Tom McNutt and I hung the sheetrock, laid flooring and built the handrails to save the church money.”
–Jerry Southard, 1996 Building Committee Chair
From 1990 to 1995, Saint Peter’s average weekly attendance increased significantly. At the Annual Meeting in January 1996, the people of Saint Peter’s gathered to review their future facility needs. They voted to build new Christian education facilities, add office and meeting space, and remodel the original church into a chapel. A new capital campaign was launched in April 1996, and soon Saint Peter’s was once again ready to build. The current office and Christian education facilities were completed in 1998. On February 18, 2012, at the 140th Diocesan Convention in Little Rock, Saint Peter’s became a parish in the Diocese of Arkansas.
Today, Saint Peter’s continues to look towards the future with the same spirit and dedication that marks its past.
Vicars of Saint Peter’s
P.A. Johnson 1881-1882
Archdeacon Rhames 1901-1912
George William Culleney 1941-1943
John Maury Allin 1945-1949
Charles B. Hoglan, Jr. 1951-1956
Sylvan W. Law 1956-1959
Rollo L. Rilling 1959-1962
Limuel G. Parks, Jr. 1963-1970
A. William Krumback 1971-1977
John Gray 1976-1977
Festus H. Powell, Jr. 1977-1984
William S. Smothers 1984-1985
James McLean 1985-1990
Peggy Hays 1990-1998
Greg H. Rickel 1998-2001
Gar R. T. Demo 2002-2006
Jack A. Rogers, Jr. 2006-2007
Teri Daily, 2008-2012
Rectors of Saint Peter’s
Teri Daily, 2012-2017
Greg Warren, 2018-present